The New York State YMCA Gymnastics meeting was called to order on April 30, 2011 at 11:50 at the State Meet at Brockport. The following YMCAs were represented: Cortland, Cross Island, GLOW, Glens Falls, Lakewood, Northwest, Oneonta, Saratoga, Watertown.
1. Contact Information - A list of contact information was distributed for updating. Corrections will be posted on the website.
2. State Meet - Bids were accepted for the 2012 State Meet. GLOW and Lakewood expressed interest. GLOW was awarded the meet as Lakewood had hosted more recently than GLOW.
3. Clinic - Mr. Miller indicated that there had been interest expressed to have Tony Retrosi do another clinic for New York YMCAs. There had been interest expressed in having a clinic that would be for gymnasts also this year. It was expressed that there was interest in having the clinic be for optional skills and gymnasts. Mr. Miller agreed to contact Tony and asked for approximate numbers so that he and Tony could talk about the setup of the clinic. A date in late September or early October was suggested. Mr. Miller will contact Tony and then pass on information to the coaches. There were approximately 40 gymnasts would be eligible for this clinic next year.
4. State Meet Procedures - It was suggested that all of the procedures that should be followed at the state meet should be codified into one document to insure that all state meets are run the same rather than scattered throughout the minutes. Mr. Miller wil set up the document and then circulate it for comment.
5. National Meet - Coaches were concerned about the YMCA National Meet dates being at the end of the June which makes it extremely difficult for teams from New York to go because of high school regents exams and graduation activities. Mr. Miller noted that New York schools end much later than most other states. Previous contact with national committee members indicated that most other states end their school year much early, some in late May/early June. The YMCAs from these states found it difficult to keep their programs going through the vacation period from the end of the school year until early July. Therefore, the committee was meeting the needs of the majority of the YMCAs.
Mr. Miller will contact our representative on the national committee for comment and consideration of the idea of perhaps holding it on Memorial Day weekend.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 12:15.
Richard Miller New York State YMCA Gymnastics Coordinator
2010 State Minutes
The New York State YMCA Gymnastics meeting was
called to order on April 10th at 12:05 PM at the Glens Falls YMCA during
the NYS Gymnastics Championship Meet. The following YMCAs were
represented: Cortland, Cross Island, Genesee, Glens Falls, Lakewood,
Northwest, Oneonta, Rye, Saratoga, Watertown.
1. A list of contact information was distributed for updating. Corrections made will be added to the list on the website.
Richard Miller indicated that any team wanting to post results on the
interenet could do so by sending results to him. The state meet results
will be available on the website.
3. Bids were solicited for
the 2011 state championship meet. Northwest indicated inerest with a
tentative sit of SUNY Brockport. This bid was accepted. Mr. Miller
indicated that age group guidelines and award guidelines were available
on the NYS gymnstics website (nyymcagymnastics.org).
Lakewood expressed interest in the state meet. It was suggested that they bid for the 2012 meet.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 12:20 PM.
Richard Miller State Coordinator
2009 State Meeting Minutes
The New York State YMCA Gymnastics Meeting was called to order on Saturday, 4/18/09, at 12:15 at the Lakewood YMCA during the New York State YMCA Gymnastics Championship Meet. Represented at meeting were the following YMCA's: Corning, Cortland, Genesee, Glens Falls, Lakewood, Northwest, Saratoga, Watertown.
1. A list of contact information for YMCAs was distributed. Corrections were made and the list will be available on our website (see #2 for address).
2. Richard Miller informed the group that a new website would soon be available at: nyymcagymnastics.org. He indicated that this was made possible by the state registration fees. This site will be a registered domain so it will be easier for everyone to access.
3. Bids were solicited for the 2010 state championship meet. Glens Falls was the only team to express interest. Therefore, Glens Falls was selected as the tentative host.
4. A discussion was held concerning the awards that are given at the state meet to insure that they are consistent from year to year. This would include both the types of awards as well as the basis on which they are awarded. a. Age groups - determine the number of gymnasts in each level. Divide that number into groups of equal numbers (the names can be Child, Junior, Intermediate, Senior. If there are more groups, they can be called Junior A, Junior B, etc). Ideally there should not be more than 3 years difference in the age groups. Give awards, both all-around and individual, to the top half of each group. If a group has 3 or less gymnasts, give awards to all. Ties are broken: in individual events by using the highest all-around score; in all-around by using the highest individual event score. If a tie exist for the lowest place to be awarded, no tie breaking occurs. b. Awards - team awards for each level are awarded to every team entering the level (there is a separate fee charged for team entry in each level to cover the cost). Most Y's prefer banners but trophies are acceptable. All-around awards are trophies. Individual event awards should be medals.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 12:35 PM.
Richard Miller State Coordinator
2008 State Meeting Minutes
The meeting of the New York State YMCA Gymnastics Meeting was called to order on Saturday, April 5, 2008 at 12:05 PM during the break in the New York State YMCA Gymnastics Meet held at Savona-Campbell Central School in Campbell, NY. The following YMCA's were present at the meet: Corning, Cortland, Cross Islands, Genesee, Glens Falls, Lakewood, Oneonta, Saratoga.
1. Contacts - A list of contacts was circulated for corrections, additions or deletions. (Check the attachment or the website at: http://nyymcagymnastics.org for the complete updated list.)
2. Prep Optional Rules - The Prep Optional Rules were mentioned. There were no changes proposed so the prep optional rules for New York YMCA competition will remain the same for next year. See the agenda or the minutes from 2007 for a complete list.
3. State Meet for 2009/2010 - The state meet was approved to be held in Lakewood for 2009 as had ben propsed last year. Glens Falls indicated interest in holding the meet for 2010. There were no other bids so Glens Falls was awarded the meet in 2010.
4. State Exhibition Team - It was stated that there had not been any requests for the involvement of the members of the New York State YMCA Exhibition Gymnastics Team since its inception in 2005. We have given certificates to the gymnasts qualified (finishing first or second all-around at the State Meet). Since there has never been any activity involving this group, it was suggested that it no longer be recognized as a viable group. Any contact that is made looking for a YMCA gymnastics exhibition may be handled by the person or group receiving the request, or the person can be refered to the New York State YMCA Gymnastics Coordinator.
5. State Fee - It was pointed out that at the 2007 state meeting, a fee of $10 had been approved for the State Coordinator's position to cover website maintenance, phone calls and other expenses. Next year a bill will be sent to all teams to help with collection of this fee.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 12:25 PM.